Knowing God’s Will in Marriage
Marriage is a creation of God, it all started from Him. (Genesis 2:18). He will not play a guessing game with His people (2 Corinthians 14:33). He wants us to know and do his will and He is actively involved in revealing it. Therefore before seeking God’s will in marriage, develop a relationship with Him. (Psalm 119: 130; Psalm 119: 105). You must not live your life in fear but in fellowship with God. (2 Timothy 1:7). Develop your God’s given gift and master how God deals with or guides your steps. (Psalm 85: 8; Psalm 37: 23). Discover your purpose through a relationship with Jesus Christ. (John 18: 37). This reduces stress, give your life a meaning and prepare you for eternity. (2 peter 1: 3-4). You must be found working in His Vineyard like Adam and have a source of income (Genesis 2: 15-18) because marriage is not for lazy people. Marriage is for matured adults, not juveniles.
How do we recognize his will in marriage?
The scripture is clear about the fact that God doesn’t want his people to be joined with unbelievers in marriage. (2 Corinthians 6: 14-16; 1 Corinthians 6: 15-17. How then do we recognize His will in marriage as believers?
- Through the word of God (Proverb 3: 5-7). God has placed His word in our hands so that we can have a more objectives set of guidelines to follow that dream, feelings and impulses. Despite your dreams and conviction, pray to have scriptural backing (Proverb 18: 22, Genesis 2: 22; Proverbs 19: 14).
- God will work in you to do His will. He will use circumstances and situations to perfect His will for your life (Romans 8:28; Philippians 2: 12-13). You must therefore, remain sensitive paying attention to doors He opens and closes to direct your path.
- Through the counsel of elders, or spiritual heads in the church. (Psalm 1:1; Proverbs 19: 21; 11:14, 15: 22; Acts 1:24; Titus 2: 3-5). Do not despise Godly counsel from spiritual heads. (Proverbs 14: 29b; Isaiah 52: 12).
- A GOOD REASON TO PRAISE HIM!
- A CHRISTMAS TO REMEMBER
- 5 WAYS TO KNOW IF YOUR RELATIONSHIP IS APPROVED BY GOD
However be careful of the following pitfalls:
- Passion for sex, peer parental pressure, age, poverty etc, may influence your hasty decision. Don’t allow any of these to cloud your sense of reasoning or push you in to marriage. Watch and pray to overcome temptations (Mathew 26:41).
- The environment you are in and the friends you keep may influence your choice. Therefore keep company with believers and not unbelievers (1 Corinthians 15:33).
Prayer, pure word of God, worship, fellowship and service for God and right environment of good spiritual nourishment are factors that aid our spiritual sensitivity. As a child of God. You have His word, His spirit within you and his ministries to guide and counsel you.
- Why have a relationship with God before marriage?
- How do you know God’s will in marriage?
Drop a comment on this post and you can also follow us on
December 20, 2018
December 18, 2018